Friday, March 09, 2007

I've decided that my next career, whenever it begins, will be as a writer. I love writing, and I actually miss the looooong days of writing at Starbucks on Clayton and Forsythe! I once wrote 30 pages in 3 days back in my salad days...

In pursuit of that dream, and because I'm slightly putting off the actual writing until I decide on numerous subjects and finally narrow my focus, I've decided to start building my vocabulary (and reviewing my SAT words). I think my love of words led me to my current job; unfortunately, the linguistic ability of the students I work with restricts the number of challenging words I actually get to practice! So, my new weekly challenge is to understand every word in The New Yorker and New York Times. Here's my list for this week: -I definitely won't be doing this every week:)-

Lacuna- a missing piece (as in a manuscript or an argument)...this explains an aspect of "Eternal Sunshine and the Spotless Mind" that I didn't understand!

Indemnity- protection against damages.

Sartorial- pertaining to style, clothing, or tailors' work.

Anachronistic- chronologically misplaced; belonging to another time.

Sactimonious- hypocritcal or feigned show of religious devotion, piety, or righteousness.

Ossuaries- receptacle for bones of the dead.

Sepulcher- tomb.

Knäckebrot- very dry Swedish cracker-bread (I swear, a New Yorker writer used this to describe a dry, cracked argument. They are so pretentious! ...and I wish I was that pretentious!)

Schist- multi-grain, metamorphic rock. I remembered this, but I swear it wasn't used in reference to rocks.

Elision- omission of a vowel, consonant, or syllable in pronunciation.

Precepts- rules prescribing a course of action or conduct.

Axioms- universally recognized truths, rules, or laws.

I hope you have a good weekend..I'm enjoying the 40 degree weather!

No comments: