Tuesday, February 27, 2007

The Oscars!

I love the academy awards and they were twice as fun this year since I've become as cynical as my friends...so we could mock them all together:)

I liked...
*The Will Ferrell, Jack Black, John D. Reilly trio about the downside of comedic acting. First, they can all sing pretty well, next "John C. Reilly- huh?," finally they made Ryan Gosling blush and that's cute.

*Helen Mirren's dress. I can only pray that I'll look like that when I'm in my 60's. My other choice for best-dressed was Abigail Breslin, because her dress was so age-appropriate.

*The bizarre dance troupe. For me, that never got old. It must have been so funny when they were practicing...there probably had to have been someone who could see them from a distance yelling how they needed to move while they hung on to each other!

*The acceptance speech for "West Bank Story." I saw the nominated short films with my friends, and while the beginning WAS pretty funny (with sterotypical Jewish and Muslim people snapping like in "West Side Story"), the rest was banal and obnoxious. But, the speech was so touching, even though it makes me jealous that the film was his senior thesis and he won an Oscar...talk about an auspicious start.

*Ellen's joke about boxed wine. Really, who hasn't drunk it and liked it, too?


I got mad when...
*Binka's Big Idea didn't win for best live action short. It was a sweet story about a girl who helps other girls who aren't allowed to go to school in Africa because of their parents' beliefs in gender roles.

*The Danish animated short film won. Honestly, I saw it and it was a simplistic story about a woman with incredibly long hair. The movie about the squirrel from "Ice Age" was so cute! But, my favorite was a movie that wasn't even nominated: it's called "One Rat Short" and it has the most beautiful and realistic animation that I've ever seen. It's kind of "Watership Down" meets "Lady and the Tramp" meets a movie about animal testing meets "2001: A Space Odyssey."

*Ellen vacuumed near people's thousand-dollar couture dresses. Maybe that's nothing to movie stars, but I would have kicked that vacuum away with my $500 stilettos.

*When the cameras cut to minority actors whenever there was mention of minorities in any way. Honestly, pointing it out misses the point.

This was the best Academy Awards I've seen in such a long time, though. Thoroughly enjoyable, fine holiday fun.

1 comment:

Katty said...

I second your Helen Mirren comment... though my favorite dress was Sherry Lansing's. Gorgeous!