Wednesday, February 02, 2005

"I'm in love with the ordinary, I need a simple space to rest my head...everything gets clear"
-Jimmy Eat World
I kind of wish that was written by a famous poet, because it seems so middle-school to quote a pop song. But whatever, it applies to me this week! Things are getting so much better at school:) The worst thing in a working environment is when your supervisor can't understand your point of view and needs. I think after my advisor emailed her that I was completely stressed-out, she felt really bad and finally understood that the absence of structure does not create an comfortable teaching environment. And although a lot of my students are gang members and drug dealers, at least they seem to like me and listen to me to some extent. It's sometimes like pulling teeth to get them to participate though. I swear that one girl thinks that she'll just float through without ever doing anything (especially speaking in English). Sad to say, that reminds me of myself (although I did do all the homework in Spanish class). It's so important that all the students gain some usable skills from this class though, whether in a minimum wage position, or just for legal/tax purposes (like signing one's name).

Tomorrow my brother comes back from home, where he stayed for a week. I'm actually not that jealous, because it's so sureal to stay in my parents' house! Anyways, I have the sweetest new cat here, so it's not just me talking to my fish. I got her from the Humane society on Saturday. She's older, which is so convenient because I don't have to pay for any of the surgery or shots. Plus, she is the sweetest cat...when I come home, she mews until I pick her up. I named her Juniper, because she's blue-tinted silver, and because her old name, Bozie, was so stupid. However, I have decided that under no circumstances will I turn into the single cat lady (which my uncle thought was the name of a super hero, but which is actually a derogatory term among males -so I've heard- for an undesirable woman who stays home on Saturday nights and knits with her cat companion). So this will be the last mention of my cat here, unless I'm questioned directly! And under no conditions will I ever wear or display any cat paraphenalia...so the only signs that I actually have a cat will be, it's food dish (which is quite stylish), it's litter box, which looks like an igloo, and the cat herself. Hopefully, all of these conditions will help me to avoid the inevitable slide towards single cat lady life. I also have a blind date on Friday, with a man who sounds quite sponge-worthy (just kidding;), which will help me to avoid the "single" aspect altogether.

No comments: