Saturday, December 10, 2005

Three things:
1. I've christened my bathroom the "fiesta" room. Not because I plan to throw parties in there, which actually now sounds like a potentially fun idea:) but because I put up my Mexican holiday flags, my sun mask from San Antonio, and my lava lamp. It's so much more fun now to brush my teeth. I just hope everything doesn't fall down from the steam when I take a shower. That's a risk I have to take when adding a little spice to any room.

2. I completely disagree with the PG rating of "The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe." In terms of how much it could scare a child, I think it should have been rated R...I was scared, and granted that I scare very easily, it was still something I could have imagined making me cry and have nightmares when I was little. The symbolic sacrifice scene (I won't say of whom) was brutal and almost maniacal, with many soldiers looking like something from a horror movie. And I felt, when I was little, that seeing an animal die in a movie was ten times worse than a human (which is still true and why I walked out of March of the Penguins). There were even more deaths in the movie as well, probably hundreds in the battle scene, as well as multiple wolf maulings. Otherwise, I thought it was a really sweet movie. Just not at all for children, who don't have the developmental skills to separate fantasy from reality.

Oh, and I remember being so mad the first time I ate Turkish Delight, after reading about it in "The Chronicles of Narnia." It's just gelatin covered in powdered sugar! I had pictured them at least made of chocolate, because why would Edmund betray his siblings for gumdrops?

3. Please call or email me if you're not busy anytime this week or next (and you live in Minnesota). I want to see everyone before I leave for 10 days on the 21st. I'll be in Chicago for my grandparents 50th Anniversary party all next weekend, which I'm overly excited about! I love that all the silly family traditions sneak out when we're all together.

No comments: