Saturday, November 13, 2004

Well last night I went to the movies, and since I cough up a lung unless I'm constantly drinking, I bought a large Sprite. I guess I've never bought a large drink at the movies before, because something funny happened: I couldn't really pick it up. My hand was too small to hold the large plastic cup without it slipping, so I had to juggle my shopping bags, jacket, and the gigantic cup. Anyway, this got me thinking about the pros and cons of having tiny hands (which are, with my hands as the standard, hands that have a 6 inch span -when outstretched- from tip of thumb to tip of pinkie).

Cons:
-I can't pick up a large soda at the movies singlehandedly.
-I can't reach an octave on the piano.
-I can't hold a tennis racket (or baseball bat or football probably) without constantly adjusting my pinkie. Well, I guess that's more based on my genetic pinkie curvature, but it definitely doesn't help.
-It's hard to find rings (size 4 or 5).
-I can't do cartwheels (but that might just be my lack of skills).

Pros:
-Good ice-breaker with cute guys, when I ask them to compare hand size, palm to palm...like "oh my gosh, your hands are so big!" I know that's so obvious, but it works!
-Good for hand-holding.
-I can wear my 9 year old cousin's mittens.
-My veins are closer together, which my doctor mom says is a good thing IV-wise.
-Less nail to paint, which probably saves me about a day over my whole lifetime. Also less nail to clip.

Otherwise, the only thing I'm thinking about is getting over this cold. It's a beotch. I'm hacking all the time, and yet I'm not technically "sick," since everyone gets colds, right? Um, no. This is horrendous, and I don't have a moment of peace if I'm not constantly drinking (like at the movies) or popping cough drops. I even have to sleep with a cough drop in my mouth, which is probably awesome for my teeth. Tonight I'm going over to my Aunt's to watch Shrek 2 with my cousins. Then I'm going to a Divali party, hosted by the doctoral candidates in economics. From what I know about economists, I have a feeling this party is going to be wild and crazy. Just kidding. ;>

3 comments:

Beth said...

ok, having some recent experience with coughs and coughdrops... I'm less concerned about your teeth than I am about you choking in your sleep. isn't there some sort of power-cough syrup that can help? i hate cough syrup, but i hate the idea of people i care about choking in their sleep even more...

Nicole said...

I haven't had any problems yet, except that it's probably bad for me to have so many Halls chemicals every day! But my mom said that she'd call in a prescription cough syrup for me today.

Katy said...

i agree with beth on the no-choking thing. also, i'm not sure if hand-size and cartwheel ability are correlated. have you seen how tiny gymnasts are? no offense, nicole, but i'm chalking that one up to coordination.