Saturday, April 02, 2005

Hmm...sexual politics??

I read somewhere that it was actually men who decided that women should have a femenist sexual revolution in the 60's, since it would eventually lead to the situation today, when men can pretty much expect anything. It really seems like even the nice guys are digressing to the level of thinking that if woman even talks to them in a bar, that she's leading them on if she doesn't go home with him. Well, I don't want to get into that, but my point is that I'm sick of feeling guilty for having rules for myself. And I'm sick of guys who really ARE nice sinking to that level and then society accepting it. I think that we should turn it around and all girls should start demanding that they won't talk to guys unless they agree to call them the next day and actually follow through! It would be less demeaning, but wouldn't always involve a moral decision and so much regret. Plus, I think that most girls, like me, want to see a guy for more than one day (or night). I also adamently believe that this information, including the fact that patience and actually getting to know someone aren't antiquated, should be a cornerstone of the health sciences curriculum in all high schools ;) We need to start educating men early, so that they don't only begin to realize the benefits of a "relationship" when they're in their 30's.

That's my schpeel (or however you spell it) and I'm sticking to it. San Antonio was so much fun..and so hot! I did all the things that I planned on doing in my last post, except meet a cowboy. I did get an intent-to-hire offer from a school district in Maryland! And last night I met some players from the Mighty Ducks hockey team. It was so much fun spending time with them at a crazy piano bar, but the night led to my concerns above. But maybe I'm just cynical. I was listening to Bright Eyes on the airplane, and these lyrics describe almost exactly what happened:

"I picked you out of a crowd and talked to you.

I said, "I like your shoes."
You said, "Thanks can I follow you?"
So it's up the stairs and out of view-
No prying eyes
I poured some wine
I asked your name, you asked the time...
Now it's two o'clock-
the club is closed and we're up the block
Your hands on me; pressing hard against your jeans
Your tongue in my mouth, trying to keep the words from coming out
You didn't care to know who else may have been you before

I want a lover I don't have to love.
I want a girl who's too sad to give a..."

That pretty much sums it up.

1 comment:

Nicole said...

Here's an article from today's New York Times that confirms my point.
http://nytimes.com/2005/04/03/fashion/03HOOKUP.html