Thursday, September 15, 2005

Hmm...I have this friend, who is coincidentally also an ESL teacher, and she has this problem:
Her school is having a fundraising effort in which a company has been contracted to provide selling materials to students. They are encouraged to try to sell as many products from the catalog as possible, such as candy, jewelry, and other quality items. This money goes to school field trips and other incidentals. Anyway, what bothers my friend is that the students are rewarded in interesting ways for their "sales." First, if they sell more than 10 items, they are V.I.P.s at the school carnival. That means they get in free and can do all the activities for free. Additionally, for each sale a student makes, his or her name is entered in a drawing to spend 30 seconds in a money chamber: the money blows around and they can keep all of it that they can get their hands on. What behavior or moral values does this kind of activity promote?;) Something tells me it's not intrinsic pride in one's school.

Sorry if all I write about is school these days! My life is only school on the weekdays. And that's fine with me for now. I miss my cat a little bit. I'm going to walk to Borders and buy a Spanish dictionary; I can't find any of mine! Because tomorrow I'm calling the homes of all of my students to give the first week update. I really hope I don't say anything stupid by mistake:)

No comments: