Monday, September 26, 2005

I definitely don't think I've quite figured out being friends with colleagues. Most interactions at school are based on half complaining and half talking about how soon the weekend will come: it's hard work to figure out when people are being sincere and when they're being flippant. I never know if I should agree! For example, one teacher came up to tell me his students (a few chatty boys) had tried to return something to me but couldn't find me. I apologized for not being in my room but he said he just wanted me to know that they were being responsponsible. It sounded like a jibe at them and I instinctually laughed. He gave me a look like, "huh?" Oops. I think all my students are wonderful and I definitely don't want to become one of those nasty teachers...I just thought he was pointing out something ironic! Oh well. It's always entertaining. Tonight a parent who only speaks Spanish called me at home (which I recommended that they do). Well, oops again, I couldn't figure out what she was talking about. I'll sort it out tomorrow. And I've decided that I'm going to Mexico this summer. My goal is bilinguality:)

No comments: