Friday, January 13, 2006

My week...

*Five of my students who don't speak any English- and whose parents don't speak any English- did not understand the field trip forms that were sent home only in English. So I spent one morning running around the school, arguing that all forms should be sent home in Spanish as well and desperately trying to get my students permission to go. I worry so much about them: one girl cries everyday because the days are so short! And I can't imagine what they daydream about during the hours of school when they have no idea what's going on. I printed 10 new Spanish books for them last night...but that's not enough at all.

*Kwadwo walked across the 2nd grade room to say "You look nice today, Miss Walters." It was so sweet, after my morning of running around talking to parents liasons and the principal.

*My classroom looks so colorful now! I put up photos of influential immigrants- there are so many more than I thought, including the Secretary of Labor, Elaine Chao, Sen. Mel Martinez from Florida, and Betty Nguyen from CNN. My students were so excited! I should have thought of that before. It must be so hard when there are so few role models of English language learners.

No comments: