Tuesday, January 24, 2006

Two stories and an evaluation
I know that kids stories can get trite, but these were funny:
*One 3rd-grade boy walked by me in the hall, slapped me lightly on the back, and said "Hiya, Teach!" wth:) Where did he pick that up? It was completely something out of a Mickey Rooney movie, when students wore knee socks.
*A second-grade boy, who is in one of my reading groups, has the most amazing ability to make connections from the text to his life. We were reading a story about a horrible dog today. He looked at one of the pictures showing the chaos that the dog had created in the back yard and said "A dog can't turn on the sprinkler...he doesn't have opposable thumbs!" Then he explained that humans and apes have them, but he wasn't quite sure what opposable meant. Apparently, he learned about this on the TV show "Jimmy Neutron, Boy Genius."

I was observed and evaluated by my mentor and the head of staff development for our school district. It went amazingly well! They were so nice- it completely made my day; especially when my mentor said, "It's obvious that you do a lot of work." Oh my gosh, thanks, yes, yes I do! Whew. All the work is only worth it if it shows in the students' improvement:)

3 comments:

freethoughtguy said...

At least he didn't say "Hiya, Toots!"

Nicole said...

Once, when I wore ribbon in my hair for "Crazy Hair Day," he said: "If you were a present, I'd take you home and unwrap you." So his last comment definitely could have been worse ;)

Mike said...

I agree ... could have been MUCH worse.

Got your "page" today from Kate. It made me smile and even cry a little. Thank you so much. I am so honored to know you .. you have no idea.

Back to work!

-MK+