Tuesday, January 03, 2006


Our school is so diverse in languages, economic situation, and emotional needs. It makes me question what I know about my students every day and makes me feel so grateful to have had the childhood that I did. Today I had to talk a student out of biting himself- actually cutting the skin on his arm with his teeth- and try to stop him saying that he hates himself and deserves it. And it was just a moment during the day. I didn't have time to process it until now. The little boy has developmental and emotional disabilities and he kept saying "I'm stupid because I can't stop talking and I always have to leave the room." I can't stand that any child feels that way. The problem was soon taken over by his own teacher, and our amazing social work and psychological staff are probably addressing it, but it's such a horrible thing to see...

There are also things that I can't assume about any of my students. I can't ask them to do research for homework, because almost none of them have internet or computers, or encyclopedias. Today, I gave a few students postcards to color (they missed the activity before vacation). But all of them told me that they don't have anything to color with at home. I can't imagine a 8-yr-old who can't color! How can I teach them to be independent and creative thinkers when they can't find the answers to their own questions or express themselves artistically at home? Although I'm sure they all find ways, and I in no way pity them, I still wish I could give them everything my parents gave me, all the things I ignorantly expected that every 8-year-old girl was entitled.

So, I've decided to write to Oprah:) My students represent a new generation of immigrants in American history. All of our ancestors came to American in some capacity and in some way relied on the kindness of strangers (like Blanche Dubois!). Why have we forgotten that? My grandparents spoke Polish and Russian as first languages. Neither went to college, but they fought and struggled, in ways I can't imagine, to support their children to success in this country (although my grandpa didn't receive a warm reception as a Polish man in the army in the 40's). And all of my Dad's siblings went to college, three had PhD's and two have Master's Degrees. Not all of my students have parents who have the time to support them to that extent...but they deserve every opportunity.

If you are ever in a restaurant that has free crayons for kids, please swipe some for my students! I'm going to start a collection:)

No comments: