Thursday, December 14, 2006

I've had an interesting week. On Tuesday, I was rudely confronted for the first time at work. A colleague, who apparently has been harboring issues with the fact that I work more, talk to the principal more, and have "good ideas," accosted me in the hall with the suggestion that we have a meeting with our boss so I can figure out my role. I'd been friends, I thought, with this person for over a year, and never realized that she had been building a list of reasons to disapprove of my work. It's probably because everyone at school is perky and nice until you're not in earshot. I actually gave up a bigger classroom to this teacher, volunteered to do almost all of the work for our team, and have always helped her, so it's like a slap in the face.

I was bothered by it for a day because I hate fighting with people, until I realized that as long as I'm doing my job- which is to teach students and be a productive member of the school- I can't let it bother me that my approach is different and possibly threatening to someone else. I my best to be supportive and nice to everyone; to fault me for a mistake in this extremely busy time (with moving, holiday, 80+ students) is a sign of some other issue. And besides, I know a of a secret challenge that she's going to face in the future at work, which will maybe permit her to see how hard I've actually been working.

My apartment is a mess: there are boxes everywhere and absolutely no place for all my kitchen stuff, so it's all on the floor. I'm having people over on Saturday night, but I'm finally resolved to the fact that my friends won't care if it's messy, as long as there's food. I'm making mini croque monsieurs! They'll be so petite and adorable:)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I've learned that when someone seems irrationally mad at you, it is almost always about them and not about you. Letting it roll off your back is the right decision (but hard, because we all want everyone to like us!) anyway, good job.

starrypurplehaze said...

Yummy, croque monsieurs. Man, I need to learn to cook!