Thursday, May 24, 2007

This is what I read when I'm bored at work :)
"What is especially disturbing about [pluralistic ignorance] is that it lends itself to control by the noisiest and most visible. Psychologists have noted that students who are the heaviest drinkers, for example, tend to speak out most strongly against proposed measures to curb drinking, and act as “subculture custodians” in support of their own minority views. Their strong vocalization can produce “false consensus” against such measures, as others, who think they’re part of the minority, keep quiet. As a consequence, the extremists gain influence out of all proportion to their numbers, while the views of the silent majority end up being suppressed."
-"A New Silent Majority" by Mark Buchanan (The New York Times, May 23, 2007).

I wonder how much of school culture is controlled by pluralistic ignorance. There are many attitudes (both positive and negative) that I may overextend to include more teachers than the number that actual subscribe to them. For example, I usually feel like everyone worships the teacher union and that I am the only one who feels like it's actually holding back the progress of modern education. But, that belief hasn't coerced me into liking them more, just inhibited me from speaking up against it (mostly for fear that nasty union members will whack me, like in those tales of teamsters...but that's probably wrong, too, I hope.) Buchanan explains that feeling like one is the member of a minority (whether one truly is or not), leads to a desire for social separation from that perceived majority group. This is probably why I don't hang out very much with other teachers...also because they drive me crazy! This is a direct quote from a teacher (today):
(Preface: a student had broken a pencil in half. When the teacher told him not to do that anymore, he had replied- rudely, I admit- "There's more where that came from." So the teacher comes into a room I'm in and tells the kid's classroom teacher about it, followed by...)
"Shit. I just wanted to drop-kick him."

Honestly, when you start feeling that way about any human being, it's time to check into anger management. And when you're a teacher, there's no excuse. That's the reason why I avoid teachers (pluralistic ignorance or not!) and why I definitely don't hang out with them at Applebee's for happy hour.

No comments: