Tuesday, May 08, 2007

May
I've been so busy lately. Busy, tired, sleepy, and otherwise satiated with malaise. Did I mention the ennui? Yes, I love that word and that's what it is. I'm bored with all the busywork. And arguments with friends and family have left me mentally exhausted, too (even though they are over). I need a vacation from emotions, just to check out to a deserted island for a while...which is why I do yoga, I guess.

*Big questions: where did my favorite radio station go? Drive 105- amor of my FM dial- is suddenly gone. And replaced by LOVE 105, which almost made me sick. I didn't want to abandon my sacred 105.5, but after listening to a whole Bryan Adams song, I was over it. I have no loyalty when cheesy, lite pop is involved. Number 5 on my radio programming buttons is now the Current. I'm sorry, my friends...at least I held out that long, right?

This last month of teaching is difficult. Last year I did a fun video essay project with all of my classes ("This is what we learned in 3rd grade..."). But this year, there are some students who have basic English needs I need to address, so I made the ridiculous choice of developing personalized goals for each student, hoping that they learn these needed skills in the next three weeks. Grr. I have a pattern and it's called "killing myself with unnecessary work." Well, not totally unnecessary, but overwhelming. For example, I opted out of a conference last week and managed to finish all of my report cards and filing in one day! But this week I'm a mess. I have a bad summer cold (I sound like Barry White when I wake up), I'm not getting much done at home, and I completely forgot about a meeting today; the substitute showed up and I had nothing written down! I felt like such a space cadet! I just gave her mad libs and told her to ad lib. Haha. As much as I'll miss my amazing students, I can't wait for the end of the school year.

2 comments:

chris said...

even though your best friends dj at radio k, i think you meant to type "drive 105," which is the station you dearly beloved (and i as well to a certain extent).

i hope you didn't think we DJ'd at drive 105 all this time...cuz we're really not that cool/successful. hate to break it to you.

Nicole said...

I think because I am perpetually surrounded by conversations about people who work at Radio K, shows on Radio K, and general Radio K gossip, the station is always on my mind. ;)