Saturday, September 23, 2006

"It's never too late to be who you might have been" ~ T.S. Eliot
I've been thinking about regret and missed opportunities. How did I end up here? In the hopes of having a more optimistic outlook, I thought about how many of my dreams I've already accomplished, or at least to an extent that fulfills my current needs. Here's a little list of who I might have been:
*A Country Girl
When I was five years old, living in Rochester, N.Y., I dreamed about picking flowers in a field, wearing a long, flowing skirt, and carrying a wicker basket. Now I honestly don't know where I got that idea, but it was so romantic that I begged my mom to take me somewhere to live it out. We ended up picking dandelions in an overgrown parking lot! But that makes me think that I was a New Hampshire girl before I even lived there:)
*A Ballerina
Around the same time that I wanted to live a Little House on the Prairie fantasy, I also wanted to be a ballerina. I did take 3 semesters of ballet in college. Now, I'm going to teach it to my students after school once a week! I'm so excited:) I'm going to be rigorous and structured, as traditional ballet demands. And we're going to do a routine to the theme from Swan Lake.
*A Movie Director
I wanted to be a director when I was in middle school, because we didn't have cable and we watched so many old movies. Right now, I really don't want to enter into the whole "hollywood" thing;) So I'm going to check this thing off my list because I make a movie of my family, sharing stories and singing carols, every Christmas.
*An Oxford Scholar
I dreamt of studying at Oxford during high school...which was probably the result of watching sooooo much Masterpiece Theatre. This is one thing I really did! It was just as amazing as I thought it would be. Sometimes, when it's cool and rainy like it is today, I feel like I'm still there, with the enchantment of the history of the college giving me inspiration.
*An Author
My new goal is to write a children's book, like the kinds that was in love with when I was young. I loved "The Search for Delicious," "Redwall," "Johnny Tremain," and "A Tale of Two Cities." I wish I had the time to devote all my time to planning my plot and sketching out my characters. So this is the self that I'm currently working on...I guess we'll see!

No comments: