Wednesday, September 20, 2006

Musings
*I didn't get even one mosquito bite this summer! My secret weapon: Off! Bug Wipes. Deet all over is probably bad for you, but no itches ;)
*Why do I keep subjecting myself to Minnesota winters? It's already too cold.
*I'm most happy when everything is organized. I even remake posters in my classroom if they're too cluttered....I'm way too obsessive.
*The Greek Deli across the street is now owned by Palestinians. But it's still Greek and they still make gyros and baklava. I don't know if I've ever met a Paletinian person before and I wouldn't have known that they were except that they told me when I asked about a book. So now I have a connection for Arabic children's book! Of course now I have no Arabic speaking students.
*I'm currently stymied about my job. I don't usually even think of it like a job...it feels more like a continuous homework assignment. I have one class who does what I want them to do and I feel like I'm really teaching well. They are so excited about ESL. And then there are the other 8 classes...well, I'm going to need to keep changing those classes around to meet varied needs. I actually put my head in my hands during my 2:30 class...how do I convince 8 year-olds to have instrintic motivation for learning 30 minutes before the end of the school day? Bribery may come into play. Educational bribery of course, like attentive listening in exchange for souvenirs from Michigan (our current stop on the year-long "road-trip" around the United States). When we get to Ohio, we're going to play "Hi-Ho Cheerio!" to learn about "more than," "less than" and eat apple pie to celebrate Johnnie Appleseed (who's story will emphasize irregular past tense verbs). Next week, though, we're doing the geography vocabulary about Minnesota and directives. I may sing the noun song, too, and I might dance to amuse myself:)! Because I've realized that I'm a better teacher when I'm having fun and laughing at myself. Today, for example, I dropped a green marker on an embarrassing part of my clean, ironed khaki pants and it made a lovely long squiggle. Instead of freaking out, per usual, I attempted to turn it into a "oops! Messes happen for everyone and shouldn't ruin your day" lesson, which I should practice since I preach it to my students anyway.
*I need classical music on in my teeny room during non-class time or I feel like I'm in a cell. My current favorite is the soundtrack from the new Pride and Prejudice movie. It's so beautiful!

1 comment:

Katty said...

I'm quite jealous of your no bug bite record... You beat me by quite a bit!

If you find you need stuff from Virginia to *motivate* your students if you ever "tour" there or whatnot, just let me know! :-)