Monday, August 16, 2004

Oh panic attack! I was just washing my fish's bowl, when she jumped out when I was transferring her and flipped down the sink drain! She was down on the garbage disposal level for 5 minutes as I screamed and tried to feel where she was and pick her up! She kept flipping out of my hands and I was crying...OMG, it was so horrible! I finally got her out and she wasn't moving and I put her back in her bowl and how she's finally eating again, but I feel like the worst person! The human propensity for emotional connections is so amazing...I mean, she doesn't know that I did that to her, she probably doesn't feel fear- she only knows when she can't breath. But I was thinking the whole time that I would hate myself if I killed my fish and every time I washed dishes, I would have to think about it. She's just floating in the corner of her bowl now and breathing slowly, and I still feel so guilty. What makes me need to care for a tiny fish? Do psychoneurologists understand anything about that yet?

In Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind, the characters erase each other from their memories after a bad breakup. There are definitely some emotional memories I wish I could forget...I think the only thing you learn from those experiences is empathy. But with close calls, like fish going down the drain, I learned to never transfer her in the sink again. So it was a learning experience. And it got my heartrate to it's target level!

No comments: