Saturday, August 21, 2004

Update: my fish is a survivor! She still looks kind of ragged, but she had a near-death-by-drain experience after all.

This week I've been working on improving my apartment, but it's all been by happenstance. I went for a run around Lake Calhoun two days ago, and on the way back up my street, I saw a cute sewing desk sitting in someone's yard (with a "free" sign). I had such a hard time carrying it the two blocks home! Then today, I stopped at a yard sale and found a beautiful 2 by 3 foot mirror with antique gold trim that matches my chandelier perfectly and it was only $20, so now I have that too! This is the first place I've lived that I really want to decorate- Wash U housing was pretty much hopeless, so I didn't even try. Before school starts, Jake is going to come with his tools and help me paint my bedroom Marigold Orange. He's a pro, doncha know? Hopefully the brightness will prevent seasonal affective disorder, which I guess everyone gets here! I'm really scared for my first Minnesota winter! Eve, if you read my blog, where are you living here? We should meet up for coffee! Well, tonight I'm going to make Newman's Own Bombolina Chicken (an award-winning recipe:) while watching more West Wing. That show is like crack! I love it. It helps so much to start from the beginning too.

I got something really exciting in the mail this week too: a John Kerry '04 sweatshirt hoodie!

3 comments:

Mike said...

Nicole, your fish story had me laughing so hard I nearly cried. I'm sure you were mortified, but my mental picture of you digging around in the drain for this fish that's flopping about is just too funny. If it makes you feel better, I'm pretty sure fishes don't have memory and almost certainly don't carry grudges. Besides, if he's ever around other fish again, he'll have a story that'll be the envy of the whole school.

Nicole said...

Thanks, Mike. It was horrible at the time! ;) I swear I had post traumatic stress disorder for a week...I kept reliving touching her (she was so slimy) and seeing her lying still when I finally got her out of the drain. I think the shock made her smarter though, and more loyal to me. Now, she always swims over when she sees me, and she attacks her fish food like she's chasing it. The experience was a wake-up call about her lazy existence. Now she's living life to the fullest. She's also really happy that I bought a little net.

Mike said...

Need more blogging from Nicole!

Do you know that I refer to the Starbucks on Hanley and Wydown as "Nicole's Starbucks" (and people know what I mean!)?