Thursday, August 05, 2004

brain mush...
I'm starting to use my metacognitive skills (I learned one thing in edpsych) and I've realized that if I use my brain to write a paper and do a project, then the next day-when I need to start studying for the linguistics final exam- it will be completely exhausted. So, my brain is on vacation, even though I really need it so much right now! There should really be a word for this- if anyone knows it, please tell me. It obviously happens to all students. My dad makes up new words all the time, but they never seem to catch on. One was "soo," which is used like "too," to imply excess. It distinguishes "Soo much pizza" from "So, what's for dinner?" It makes sense to me:) Last week he came up with "hot turkey," which is used to explain what happens when you attempt to stop an addictive habit (smoking, caffeine, etc.) for a while, but can't and then get back on the wagon all at once (ok, that's alcohol, but you get the picture). Then you go overboard and it's like an overdose...hot turkey! It makes sense because it's the opposite of cold turkey. I stopped drinking caffeine cold turkey during lent but then went back hot turkey after a week...it was so bad! OMG, two hours until my final and I've only reviewed a third of the vocabulary. Work, nicole!

No comments: