Saturday, August 27, 2005

The whirlwind that is my life!
Wednesday: I got a job in an elementary school nearby. It's is one of the best school districts in Minnesota and everyone at my school is really nice. They even had an enormous hoopla (there's no other word to describe it) to welcome all the teachers back for the new school year- there was a marching band, with flags and batons twirlers, in the auditorium! I found out my salary, too :) I'm so excited to finally have money that I won't eventually have to pay back! The first day of school is this Thursday, but we do testing for placement for the first week and a half. So it's pretty much learning how to give tests, setting up my desk, and meeting the students. I'm really not that nervous, yet. I know it's going to be a lot of work, but I've decided to stay until 7pm Mon-Thursday for a while, until I feel completely prepared. It will be just like the good old days, back at the WU!! Minus all of the coffee costs.

In other huge news, I signed a lease for a new apartment yesterday. It's three blocks away from where I live now, but $295 less per month...I'm planning a "sweet" trip for next summer with all the money I'm saving! However, this weekend and the following week are going to be a blur of moving and new job stuff. I've got a scary record of pulling everything together at the last minute: I don't necessarily want to press my luck any more! Oh, the apartment is cute, too. It's a one-bedroom, but everything is new and I get to stay in my urban-chic:) neighborhood.

I went to the best party last night! I have a new group of friends who are very into music and the U of M radio station. In other words, they're quite indie-yuppie, um, gen z-ish? I really don't know, but they're really funny. They watch the O.C. for the "music." Like I haven't heard that one before!

Have a good labor-day week!

2 comments:

Mike said...

HOORAY FOR NICOLE!!! SHE GOT A JOB!!!

I'm so happy for you and proud of you!

Congratulations!

Mike+

Katy said...

CONGRATULATIONS Nicole! I'm so glad you got a job (and a nice, cheaper apt.)! I know you'll do a great job...and if they don't like your scented markers, they've been out of touch with kids for too long.