Tuesday, February 21, 2006

:)
Woo-hoo! (little hula dance)
My principal told me today if I'm not rehired by my school, he will personally find me a job in another school in our district! I'm a one-year sub for someone and she has less than two weeks to decide whether or not she's coming back. I would love to stay at this school...everyone is so nice and dedicated to the students, who are amazingly inspirational in themselves, in their drive to learn English. I wish I had more freedom in the content I teach, though. I need to reinforce all of the strategies and stories that they work on in the mainstream rooms, instead of my own choices. So today I put up a poster of Shani Davis, to celebrate new Black history, but none of my students would be able to understand the article, because I couldn't find one for kids. Maybe some random safety patrol kid will read it and buy some ice skates.

I'm going to try to get a job in Puerto Rico this summer with a child advocacy organization. More than teaching, helping children is what I want to do, so this will be practice for other potential careers. And I also desperately need to improve my Spanish. Yesterday, I forgot that acabar means "to finish."

I got home at 6:50 tonight, which may be nothing to you working stiffs, except the fact that I am constantly running from 8:35 to 3pm, with a 20-minute lunch break. There's none of that sitting at my desk and surfing the internet, especially since my desk is in someone else's classroom and I have to sneak in to get my purse!

On Thursday, on dress-like-your-favorite-book-character day, I'm going to whip out my Snow White costume (which is tame in terms of teacher costumes). I was going to go as the Giving Tree, but I thought that might be really unflattering, like all brown clothes and leaves in my hair? No. One last reason I love my job, is that I can do crazy things like wearing a costume to work on a day I'm being observed by the principal and I'll be rewarded for my spirit:)

Anyway, who wants to go see "Thunder in the Valley" on March 4th with me? I think that could be my birthday party, as I'm definitely going to request a song and then do a bar crawl. Then we can all sleep in until 5pm and watch the Academy Awards, which might also involve a drinking game (like, whenever Jon Steward wiggles his tie as a punchline, everybody drinks). I'll send out an email soon, too.

5 comments:

Unspar! said...

I doubt you'll get this before trivia tonight, but you should come to trivia tonight.

And TINV sounds cool. Where's it at?

Nicole said...

I had such a horrible day yesterday, so I couldn't come to trivia- I hope you guys did well.

I actually can't remember where they're playing and I can't find the venue listed anywhere. I'm sure someone at Radio K will know...I pretty much rely on them for all music information.

Unspar! said...

Hope today's tons better! You should come next week. Rocktown.

Unspar! said...

And I just checked...it's at the Turf Club.

Unspar! said...

Then you have a great reason to come to the show: to beat up that guy.