Monday, April 03, 2006

Shh
I have a job for next year at my school! The principal made me a position. I love my school and its diversity, needs, and struggles that make every student-success even sweeter! I spent one class this afternoon in a lively discussion of who makes immigration laws and why George Bush is not necessarily an "evil man who hates Mexicans" (which some students hear at home) and that he won't send you back to Mexico if you don't protest on Sunday at 2:30 (after one student stated definitively that Mexican-Americans would be deported if they didn't march, all of their ears pricked up).

I am a little worried that I will be replacing someone else in my department. My principal hinted that things in ESL will be shaken up this week... so I'm not allowed to tell anyone at school about my position. I really hope no one's fired!

With my tax refund I'm going to keep paying back my loans, but I'm also trying to figure out how I'm going to improve my Spanish this summer- I can't do subjunctive on the spot to save my life! I found an amazing program caring for orphans in Ecuador, but I'm not sure I could afford to fly there. But I'm excited for my final graduate school classes: a first-year teacher seminar, in which we can discuss successes and failures, and a lecture on teaching cultural diversity at the primary level.

Argh...I actually do better at work when I'm exhausted. It focuses my chi;) When I'm rested, I start worrying about superficial things. I just got into "Angels and Demons" last night at 10pm and so didn't get to sleep until 12:30. I love that book! It's so morbid, but even so, I would love to see the movie. Just as long as Robert Langdon isn't played by Tom Hanks...oh, shoot. Don't they know they ruin the movie when the character's not as handsome as I pictured in my head?

2 comments:

chris said...

congrats!!! let's celebrate this weekend!!! i haven't seen you in EONS.

Nicole said...

Definitely! I want to hear about how you're teaching The Hobbit and where you guys will be living next year. I hope you're not leaving! I think we should get everyone together and go to the Britt's or The Local for dinner on Friday or Saturday. :)