Thursday, October 12, 2006

Beautiful Day
I had such a good day today. I got a lot of sleep, my fingernails are my current favorite color (currant), and I got along with everyone, including the other teachers. Things are looking up, which is such a good thing, after yesterday's crisis of faith in public education! Well, that happens about once a week, so it's to be expected. Once No Child Left Behind is gone, I think every teacher's life will be so. much. easier. And tomorrow is Friday.

John is coming to visit this weekend and we're going to go to the Latino Family festival at the Rivercentre with my aunt and baby cousins. How much money will I spend there? I'm guessing ooodles. My Spanish has slowly been improving with the influx of students who understand no English at all...it's been getting a work-out! Especially my imperative form:) "¡No griten en el pasillo!" is what I call after the wild bunch as they go running and screaming down the hall. Today I got to explain the word "typical" by doing actions that would be atypical during class...like doing a little dance!

My students are so amazingly excited that I'm going to be giving them apple pie when we get to Ohio on our "trip." It will be part of our Johnny Appleseed unit on greater than, less than, and most of them told me that they'd never tried it before. It's almost a little bit ironic, since I avoided teaching about America because I a) wasn't sure my students needed it and b) I was afraid it was too nationalistic. But there's nothing more American.

Next weekend, I'm going back to my parents' house for a four-day weekend. I hated going there for the first two years, because it didn't feel like a home and I was clinging onto the idea that it should. But I think I'm at the age when I'm between homes, between a daughter and being a mother (not too soon!), and this is the only time I'll ever only need to answer to myself at home. Which is why it's nice not to actually have one because I shouldn't get too comfortable.

No comments: