Sunday, October 01, 2006

Retail Therapy
As much as I'm embarrassed to admit it, I'm a fan of retail therapy. I know it's a compulsion, and it might waste money, but I always end up in a better mood. And I justify it in the comfort I get from the knowledge that something so simple as buying a new book is able to improve my outlook. That may sound superficial, but with all the other worries to take up my time and manipulate my mood, having a simple recourse for change is amazingly beneficial!

Yesterday, after the family apple-picking trip was cancelled last minute, I decided it was time to add to my work wardrobe and get some new books, too. I love new books and had compiled a list of 7 that I wanted. Here are my purchases, all of which I'll use this week:

*1 button-down, khaki dress, with wrap belt and collars. It's slightly 50's-housewife-looking, but will be cute for work. I love wearing dresses because they're so comfortable and simple to coordinate. The last thing I want to do in the morning is to suddenly realize what I'm wearing doesn't match and feel the need to switch it up.
*1 sweatshirt, hoodie dress, to wear as a bathrobe.
*1 ornate amber headband.
*1 brown, linen, babydoll dress dress. Why? Okay, this was more of a "that's so pretty!" purchase. I know I'll wear it eventually.
*The United States of Arugula by David Kamp. I immediately switched to arugula salads after the spinach scare, and I think that the gourmet-ization of American food is really interesting. Especially that rice crispies are now made organically!
*Special Topics in Calamity Physics by Marisha Pessl.
*The Keep by Jennifer Egan.

I'm so excited for my new books! I've been reading No god but God by Reza Aslan for about a month, but it's definitely a pure history book, which I've never been able to get through, no matter how much I want to learn about the subject.

This morning, I'm going to go grocery shopping, which is my absolute favorite type of shopping, for some reason. Next weekend, I'm hosting the first monthy "Family" dinner for friends!

ECM funding update:
My students loved the foam dolls I bought for them! They dressed them up with the foam clothes and then glued on their own faces (photos I printed). Our teamwork mural looks so adorable!

No comments: