Friday, June 25, 2004

I just saw "Fahrenheit 9/11." It finally showed scenes that so many people have never seen: peaceful, happy families in Iraq before the war. I think it's so easy to imagine that it's a country of crazy extremists running around the sand dunes with huge weapons and killing innocent people at will. At least that's all we're shown. Iraq, and especially Baghdad, was so civilized. And obviously, the people had the same dreams for their lives that we do. There were images of little children playing on swingsets in their backyards.

On September 11, I went to the service at Graham Chapel and then sat outside in a prayer circle with some other students. I hadn't thought about it for so long. Anyway, we each went around and offered prayers. I have always feared the vigilante attitude of President Bush, so I prayed for the thousands of people who were going to be killed just because people from their country had done this to the United States.

While I watched the movie, I actually felt physically sick with the thought that our country had torn apart so many Iraqi and American families with this invasion. Can anyone actually explain the validation for the war anymore? I honestly don't think that capturing Saddam Hussein is enough of a reason. Wasn't there a way to remove him internally? Did we really exhaust every other option? There are so many countries living with oppression and genocide- why haven't we liberated those people?

The Iraqis are fighting back so much now, and I feel like I understand why: if you lived there and had nothing to do with the government, and the United States invades and decides that you and your family could be justifiably killed or taken captive at any time- and then abused- simply because you live there, wouldn't THAT justify fighting back? The poor people have decide between Saddam Hussein or this. It makes me so furious that I live in America and have almost no power to stop these horrible things from taking place.

It also makes me mad that the Bush administration convinced our country that this war WAS justified. I supported the war against Afghanistan. When Bush said that there were WMDs and links to Al Qaida in Iraq, I trusted him. Now, I'm so scared that he'll be reelected. Here's is a link in which congress concludes that he misled America on many counts: http://www.fas.org/irp/congress/2004_cr/h031604.html.

Post what you think, especially if you saw the movie too. I'm home alone until tomorrow night :( And I'm so mad at psycho dog, but being mad about Iraq lessened it...even when he jumped onto the kitchen table and broke a glass and then grabbed my favorite high heeled shoe and ran around the house biting it! grr.

1 comment:

Mike said...

The people I've talked with here who care (and a lot of people really don't care because they're just too busy trying to eke out a living each day), all think that the Bush administration is horrible and is doing terrible things. It's interesting though ... there's a separation. People here really hate Bush and the American government ... but they love Americans and American culture. I get no backlash at all about being American here ... especially once people find out I don't like Bush either. Everyone here is really pulling for John Kerry to win ... not that they know anything about him, just that they know that he's not Bush.