Saturday, October 15, 2005

I went to see "Goodnight, and Good Luck" tonight. I thought it was interesting, but scary to the extent that American civil liberties were attacked so recently in the past...I guess they still are a bit, but I think our government is so manipulative and internally-loyal that no one would ever know. I loved that the movie was in black and white...it was so beautiful. It reminded me of "Quiz Show."

One of my favorite things in the world is going into Borders without a purpose and buying as many interesting books as I can carry. It's such a bad habit! It reminds me of when I was little, though...my parents are book fiends and it's one indulgence they always permitted. We really never went to the library. I guess whatever worth reading was worth keeping in our home to read again. I love that philosophy. Which is why I already have so books, including all of my college lit. Hmm, I wonder when I'll ever go back to "Girls' Schooling In the Progressive Era" or "Sex and Citizenship in Antebellum America?" But my dream is to someday have a huge library in my house, with bookshelves so high that there is a ladder, big comfy chairs, and a fireplace. I will read E.M. Forster while sipping Earl Grey and eating scones, snuggled into a warm, fuzzy blanket. I would love that! Between growing prize orchids, baking pies, and playing the organ at the local parish, I could eventually be a perfect old British lady:)

I bought "Paris to the Moon" by Adam Gopnik today. I wish I could experience la vie quotidienne in Paris.

3 comments:

Katty said...

Nicole! I hope you don't mind that I leave you so many comments... but I know what you mean, I dream of having a library, too. :-) And I can't let myself wander into bookstores for fear of running out of grocery money. As for the other old British lady bits... PLAY THE ORGAN! It's tons of fun :-D

Laurie said...

I loved Paris to the Moon! You'll have to let me know what you think of it.

Rell said...

steel magnolia's was actually a good movie. We watched in college and though I'm a different sex and race then those women, it was pretty interesting.