Saturday, October 08, 2005

My little brother

I almost never see stories about older sister/younger brother relationships on TV or in movies. The only one I can think of is "You Can Count On Me," which is one of my favorite movies, partially for that reason. I think the reason that it's rarely portrayed is that the characteristics attached to older children (independence and ambition) are more valued in men and the stereotypical characteristics of younger children (dependence and more easy-going personalities) are seen as signs of weakness. I don't know, really. I didn't like psychology. Anyway, my brother and I fit the roles of our birth order. Maybe that's why we just recently started getting along with each other!

Up until I left for college, we really didn't like each other. Even though is was miserable back then, it's really funny now to think about it! We were just talking on the phone and we both agreed ( "I didn't like you." "Yeah, me neither!" Hahaha). Isn't that sad? He has changed so much since middle school and I've probably changed even more since I left for college. We've had so much fun hanging out for the past year with him so close by. He came to the Hmong New Year with me where we rocked the jingle shoes:) And I took him an egg McMuffin for his birthday this summer, then we drove to the grocery store and took pictures, so he could remember his 20th birthday (did I mention he's 6 ft. and still growing? I really missed out on those genes!)

I feel like I'm at the age when all of the stereotypes about growing up start to apply, you go through the emotions for the first time, and people get to say "that's life" over and over. I hate that. But it does help to dull the pain. That's right- my little brother has a girlfriend now and he doesn't call or visit me anymore. I actually called him today and gave him a guilt trip. I feel like that's such a Lifetime Movie kind of thing for a sister to do! I've never done it before. I miss him, though: even though we spent the first 17 years of our time together feeling mutual dislike, he is one of my favorite people now (giving up the Magic cards was a huge step in the right direction). But he's such a good brother...as soon as I put him on the guilt trip, he scheduled a visit this month. Abrazos, hermano menor! :)

No comments: