Sunday, October 16, 2005

In honor of being a girl and actually liking to cry sometimes (which I really can't explain), here are my top 5 sob stories:

5. "You Can Count On Me"
The last scene, with the two of them on the bench, and she doesn't know when she's going to see her little brother again ::deep breath:: It reminds me so much of how I worry about John and how there are some things that we know about our family and each other that no one else will ever fully appreciate. (Ryu-kiss, for example, which is too stupid to explain, but comes from the Street Fighter video game).
4. "Sense and Sensibility"
Okay, it's trite and forceful, what with the desperation of poor women, and the extremely handsome and wealthy Hugh Grant to sweep in at the last minute, but Emma Thompson is such a good actress!
3. "Life is Beautiful"
Well, here you've got the Holocaust, which everyone could cry about indefinitely, but Roberto didn't stop there. Oh no he didn't. He added an adorable little boy, a mother's selfless act, a father's undying devotion and protection of his son, and a reunion finale. And then at the Oscars, he jumped on the seats! Multiple kleenex box action.
2. "Follow That Bird"
The one that started all the crying. It's got a beloved childhood character painted blue, locked in a cage, singing a song of melancholy! I'm completely serious when I say that it gets me every time- nobody does that to Big Bird!
1. "Steel Magnolias"
Before the whole death with decency debate of 2005, this movie tackled the issue. There are southern friends, Dylan McDermott (which doesn't make me cry, but I like it), and diabetic seizures. Shirley MacLaine is so good at the funeral. This movie is number one because there's really no other plot; it's all just building up happiness for an hour so it can shock every character with the sadness.

I would really like to hear a male perspective on the tear-jerker;) Are there any movies you'd admit to?

No comments: