Friday, June 30, 2006

School's out forever
Today is my last day of graduate school! I just have a final project due on July 17 and I'll officially be a Master. When I mail formal letters I can put M.Ed. after my name, which is the nice, pretentious touch that my correspondence has been missing. Of course, most people in America seem to think that a Masters in Education is the equivalent of a Masters in fingerpaint art and science and can't imagine why I'd get an advanced degree that would only earn me a pay raise large enough to pay for the two classes I took this summer. Actually, I'm starting to wonder that, too. I guess so I don't feel so uneducated around my parents, the Ph.D. and M.D. They, in turn, wonder why they had to pay for my Wash U education when I don't earn more now than it cost per year, even though the tuition included room and board and I have to pay for it now. And why I had to pick such a "soft science" major in college, anyway.

Ooops, now I'm not as excited. Does anyone want to buy a sad M.Ed. a drink tonight?

5 comments:

Rory said...

Congratulations, Nicole! No matter what it's in, having a Master's is a very prestigious achievement. And personally, I see no problem with using your intellect to help children who need help.

Rory Walsh, BA

chris said...

wow that sure makes me want to finish my master's!!

we're thinking of going to first ave tonight...i have 6 dollars in my bank account, so i probably can't buy you a drink, but i do have a comp ticket to get you into the show for $1! i'll give you a call.

Mike said...

it's still more impressive than a master's of divinity-- nobody can ever figure out what that is.

As always, I'm ver proud of you. CELEBRATE!- mike+

Katty said...

Nicole:

CONGRATULATIONS!

And I think your feelings about the Masters in anything is typical. An advisor of mine once described his progress through graduate school as - and then I got my MA, but I still felt like I didn't know very much. And then I got my PhD, and I was surprised that that was it. I don't think it's necessarily unique to the M.Ed.

Either way - good for you!! :-D

starrypurplehaze said...

today's the day, you're a master's degree holder! YAAAAY!

congrats, nicole. :)