Friday, September 03, 2004

There are a lot of important stories in the news today:
-The horrible hostage crisis in Russia (Ukraine?)
-Hurricane Frances
-President Clinton having heart surgery
It must be such a crazy day for President Bush...well, I guess only if the White House is actually run exactly like on The West Wing :)

I spent all this morning obsessively cleaning my apartment so that it's clean when my mom arrives (a swiffer wet-jet really is a girl's best friend)! I also continued my annoying streak of having anxiety attacks when I don't know where my family is, since I hadn't heard from my parents since before they left home yesterday afternoon. Car accidents still scare me more than anything, so I prayed all morning (while swiffering)- which now seems silly and paranoid, since my dad just called to tell me they're an hour away- but over the past 7 hours it helped so much.

So now I'm going to pray for the three situations above until my family arrives. I wonder if anything tragic or miraculous will happen today. I think that the British tradition of saying "God save the Queen" should be used in the United States instead of "God bless America." Most people pray that God would bless all nations and people. I think I'm going to pray for our leader for guidance and wisdom instead...God save the President.

3 comments:

Mike said...

"O Lord our Governor, whose glory is in all the world: We commend this nation to your merciful care, that, being guided by your Providence, we may dwell secure in your peace. Grant to the President of the United States, the Governor of this state, and all in authority, wisdom and strength to know and to do your will. Fill them with the love of truth and righteousness, and make them ever mindful of their calling to serve this people in your fear; through Jesus Christ our Lord, who lives and reigns with you and the Holy Spirit, one God, world without end. Amen."

That prayer is on page 820 of the Book of Common Prayer. I try to pray it daily. I think praying for the president is important. I don't want to feel like the president is my enemy, even when I disagree with him as much and as vehemently as I do. It is in the world's best interests if he starts behaving better and more wisely.

God save the President is a great thing to say. We need God's help. Always have. Always will. Especially in days like this when our leaders act as if they don't need God's help and that instead that they ARE God's help.

Keep on preaching it, Nicole!

Nicole said...

No one's ever said that to me before, Mike! I've been thinking about how some Republicans have said that questioning the President's ability to lead is "weakening" America...I don't think that's true, because it's his job to represent all the needs of his citizens. Oh the other hand, I agree that we shouldn't hope for him to fail our country so that Kerry will be elected in a landslide...I guess I'll pray that he doesn't mess things up any more than he already has.

Beth said...

to jump back a little, since I read these only sporadically...

If you're in Scotland, you can deep-fry anything. Pizza, Milky Way bars, haggis... anything.

Personally, I think there are some things that just shouldn't be fried. But that's just me.