Monday, September 13, 2004

There are many evils in this world and our country that I close my eyes to in order to remain happy. I pretend not to know that I'm eating actual animals (which is easy as long as they don't still have eyes), I overlook the fact that my car pollutes the environment, and I reinterate my lack of power as an excuse for not taking more initiative in helping others as much as I can. However, I think that America is becoming too numb to the conditions of war and I wish that would stop. It's one thing to ignore the environment, livestock, and volunteerism, but horrible things are happening in Iraq and the American people are starting to think of them as commonplace. Today in Faluja, our air force bombed a US army jeep by accident. The soldiers were evacuated safetly, but later some Iraquis jumped on the burning vehicle to celebrate. One local reporter was covering the action live nearby by camera, when he was killed by the American troops who decided that they couldn't leave the jeep, however damaged, for the insugents to pillage. His last words- "I'm dying"- were shown live on tv. Isn't there something supremely horrible about that? How can we liberate the Iraquis and destroy them at the same time? Why did the reporter die? There isn't a reason anymore that isn't somehow based on political spin and misdirection. He couldn't have died to remove Saddam from power, because Saddam is currently in prison. It couldn't have been because his government had powerful weapons because Secretary Powell said that none will ever be found. I think that killing in vain is murder and war is not an excuse, especially this one.

No comments: