Monday, March 07, 2005

Something happened in my extended family that I can't explain and I don't really understand. There are some situations, like this, for which there isn't a set formula for how to help or what to do. It's strange because just last week I was thinking that my life was too easy now that my student-teaching placement is over. That annoying voice started in my head, saying that something bad might happen soon. And then it did. Actually, it's been happening for a while, but everyone chose to refrain from telling me until after my birthday. When I first heard, I laughed and actually said "mom, you're joking!" ...there was absolutely no way it was true. Well, it is. It is a bad thing because many people feel devastatingly sad right now. On the other hand, I guess it was bound to happen. The only good thing about this is that it's pulling my extended family together. My grandma called today, with a little catch in her throat and sounding agressively cheerful. She said "Hi. Well, our family is just full of surprises, isn't it! Just when you think you've heard it all!"

If you read this, please pray for my extended family (this doesn't involve anyone in my immediate family). No one is sick and we're all still together, but there are going to be many painful changes in the next few months.

No comments: