Saturday, May 20, 2006

Finally, sunshine...
I was feeling despondent all week: I had about a week to assess the speaking, reading, and writing ability of 20 second graders, and I was beginning to feel that ESL teachers are less than respected as professional educators. But I'm finally starting to feel better :)

my brother and me at LuteFest 2006

On Friday, I got a postcard in my classroom mailbox from one of my 3rd graders. On the front it said, "Rose are red viltes are blue candy is sweet and so are you!" and the inside read,
"Dear Miss Walters,
in class I feel okay but...in your class it feels fun I hope you win the contest [for a classroom makeover] I know a reason's why you should get a better classroom and I on the other hand hope I win a trip."

Our final assignment for advanced 3rd graders is to write an essay about why we should have a better classroom next year. I told my students that if they work really hard on their essays, I will send them in to the EXPO dry erase marker contest, and they could potentially win a trip. I'm just so proud that she used ellipses and "I on the other hand" in her writing!

I saw the Da Vinci Code last night and here is my quick review:
I think I would have liked the movie if the main characters had been played by Clive Owen and Julianne Moore, like I pictured in my head while I was reading the book. It needed to be more Indiana Jones, less...boring exposition.

My car now makes a wonder high pitched squeak whenever I turn.
I'm so excited to get a new car.

My parents are coming to visit soon! We're going to La Bodega for dinner, with my uncle and his new girlfriend. It may be kind of awkward, but I'm excited to drink Sangria with my dad again...we had so much fun in Barcelona together.

Coming to America is on T.V. right now and I desperately need to vacuum.
¡Que pasa bien fin de semana!

No comments: