Saturday, May 22, 2004

"How lucky I am to have something that makes saying goodbye so hard." -Anonymous

Yesterday was graduation and I'm already at home. My family couldn't go to the last party, where most of my friends would be, but I think I also resisted because I didn't want to say goodbye. Elizabeth Bibesco wrote "It is never good dwelling on good-byes. It is not the being together that it prolongs, it is the parting." I was so blessed to have this time at college and to meet the amazing people which I did, and I didn't want to hug anyone and consider that it might be the last time. I know I'll keep in touch with them, as much as I can.

"Why can't we get all the people together in the world that we really like and then just stay together? I guess that wouldn't work. Someone would leave. Someone always leaves. Then we would have to say good-bye. I hate good-byes. I know what I need. I need more hellos."
--Charlie Brown


I also don't feel sad yet...my life is moving too quickly now for me to stop and think about leaving St. Louis...I start graduate school in three weeks! At the graduation service, most of the seniors burst into tears and I felt horrible that I wasn't feeling sad at all. It felt dreamlike and silly, because I haven't lived without that community for so long, and there won't be an end to our connection. The people and memories will always be a part of me.

"You and I will meet again, When we're least expecting it, One day in some far off place, I will recognize your face, I won't say goodbye my friend, For you and I will meet again"
--Tom Petty

No comments: