Sunday, October 03, 2004

What do people have against the French all of the sudden?

It started with the Freedom Fries, but now there seem to be a common belief that the French are elite and weak, which is apparently the opposite of what Americans should be.

Has President Bush been to France? Does he have any French friends? Why does he keep laughing at them and making them the punch line for every campaign joke?

They were so sweet to me when I was broke in Tours, when I offered to wash dishes to pay for a hostel room, when I got on the wrong train twice (twice!) in one day, and when I got on a bus with no money. (I'm sorry, everyone. I probably enforced the French sterotype that Americans are stupid. Oh well). Additionally, have the people who vilify the French as elitist foodies ever had a crepe with ham and gruyere? Well, it's practically a pancake with meat and cheese in it, which sounds like a fatty idea that Americans would have and enjoy at sports games.

So... I support you, Frenchies! Vous etes super!

No comments: