Wednesday, October 13, 2004

What I've learned so far about public education:
There are huge inequalities between the best public schools and the worst. I was so lucky; I grew up in one of the best. In 5th grade, we put on a musical version of Beowulf and took a weeklong trip to Mystic Seaport in Connecticut, where we took part in authentic whaling excursions! That is so unique, though. Two years ago I worked in downtown St. Louis in a preschool classroom. The school was failing and its funding was being cut. The children were fed only plastic-covered, processed food, and never any vegetables. Now, I work in an ESL kindergarten classroom in St. Paul. I am so hopeful for these children! They need money and support to learn English...and they're 5 years behind typical American children. These children are being tested and their scores affect the amount of funding which the school will receive. Our children are not test scores! Rewarding schools that are already ahead is taking away money from schools that actually need it. It's not about equality of funding, it's about equity. There are many more issues that need to be addressed in inner-city schools and rural communities. Right now, No Child Left Behind is grossly underfunded. That is neglect of children who need education the most.
Example
It's time to start providing for the Anthonys and Bees (another one of my students!) of the world. I really didn't need to learn whaling songs (which I unfortunately still remember...although I've forgotten everything I learned in calculus:)) I wish I could have given some of my funding to them.

No comments: