Wednesday, May 04, 2005

Alright, I'm not an expert at being anti-establishment, but I'm starting a boycott!
Wal-Mart pays their employees about $9 an hour, which puts most of them under the poverty line. They also receive about $2000 less in benefits than employees at most big corporations. Costco is a much better employer: they pay their employees $13 per hour and have much better benefits. So, even though I've never actually been in a Wal-Mart (I've never even seen one!), I'm going to boycott it in the future in protest of the lack of respect/pay for employees. (Taking the other approach, shopping there more in hopes that profits will go to employees, is naive- I think. They would probably just hire more low-paid employees or give the CEOs bigger bonuses).

Power to the people! (I can't pull that off:))
Now I'm going to Starbucks for the day!

No comments: