Saturday, May 07, 2005

You know I'm determined never to be defined by a pet...I never ever "stay home with my cat" on a Saturday night, for example, nor will I ever let any person come to think (erroneously) that I'm a "cat lady." However, I am not ashamed to say that I was once a fish-owner. Sometime last week, sadly, my fish Tutu passed away. She was approximately 9 months old. I was informed of her death this evening by my uncle, who had been taking care of her for the past few weeks. Due to the tone of his voice and his attempts to make light of the situation by implying that her last words were his name, I suspect foul play.

Well, seriously, I'm a little sad about my fish, Tutu. She was such a survivor! I mean, she spent two minutes down in the garbage disposal (not while it was on) for heaven's sake! She lived in an apartment with a cat, ever aware of the imminent threat of being batted around. She was my first "friend" in Minneapolis. And she was so pretty! Oh well. At least she could say she lived life to the fullest (that one can when confined to a one gallon bowl, eating flake food, and not having the mental capacity for a learning curve).

2 comments:

Mike said...

What's the normal lifespan of a fish anyway? I had one when I was a kid ... then my mom changed his water and put soft water in and he went belly up. A traumatic moment ... not the kind of thing you want to bring up on Mother's Day.

What kind of jobs are you looking for. Just anything in bilingual ed? What age do you want to teach? What about moving back to St. Louis? We miss you!

Nicole said...

None of my fish have ever lived more than a year. I'm looking for elementary ESL jobs everywhere, but I'm pretty sure that I want to move towards the East coast, probably near Washington or Boston. It's scary to think about going through the whole process again! Oh, and I'm going to mail the newsletters at the end of the week, I promise.