Wednesday, April 14, 2004

I wish I had stayed in OMGWAIGTDWML because sometimes I feel like I should have been something completely different, like a personal shopper. You may ask, why would Nicole want to be a personal shopper instead of a bilingual elementary school teacher? Well, for one, I would get to pick out clothes all day and as most people know, I have a really strange ability to spot a designer brand and know what it is immediately! It's kind of rainmain-ish, but for fashion. Anyway, I would also get to spends lots of money, but it wouldn't actually be mine- bonus! And finally, I would get to comment on people's fashion sense without seeming super critical.
Something that has really been bothering me is when qualitative subjects, like education and Spanish, are made quantitative. My entire Second Language Acquistion class is reading studies about certain types of speech, which are done scientifically with experiments. I had to do a presenation today about all the different types of idioms and how someone processes them mentally before understanding the difference between the literal and figurative meanings. If that's not just a big waste of time, I don't know what is:) I guess it's kind of important for teaching a language, but if it's so important, then why didn't they teach me that here? I don't know any Spanish idioms, except the ones I learned at Oxford. I actually just blew off my Columbia oral interview (almost accidentally) because I know that I won't have any idea what to say and will stumble over everything and give up. I didn't really want to go there. It's not sour grapes either! It would have been so lonely, at least at first, in New York City and I would have probably had to rent a room in someone's linen closet or in the drawer under their oven. My parents are not going to pay for anything else once I graduate- I'm kind of scared since they pay for practically everything now.

Lesson of the day: A decomposable idiom is one where the words correspond directly with the figurative meaning. For example: pop the question. A nondecomposable idiom is one where the words correspond to the literal, but not figurative meaning. For example: shoot the breeze.

The music of the night is the love theme from Cinema Paradiso, because it's such a beautiful movie score.

No comments: